I drew a cruise ship and wrote on top as a personalized birthday card for a Librarian.
Above is a snapshot of the progression from priliminarly design to the finished product.
Top left to bottom right;
1) ititial design
2) darker pencil
3) inking the darker areas
4) shadows of a white cruise ship
5) a lot of layering and blending of the ship, adding the water, and under shadows of the dock.
6) I like the bright contrast to the yellow lip on the dock and the blue/ purple of the water. Easier to see and not trip over. Also added the sky.
7) added color to the foreground dock, a few blue-rope anchors, and touch-over the rest of the piece.
8) I cut the top white background off, created a black faux-frame around the rest of the picture minus the ship, rewrote the note a number of times to get it right and the final on a sheet of vellum which is adhered by an adhesive spray, and last but night least..my signature in the bottom left (which I did not get a picture of before the one-way-trip goodbye.)
The idea came to me not even 30 minutes after finding out her birthday was 5 and a half days away. When I say the idea came, I mean the words for the note, image of the ship. All I had to do is make it. What’s funny is that certain things happened along the way that felt like I was having to compromise the out come I’d seen. Such as using such bright colors like yellows and reds and bright blues. However, using the semitransparent vellum muted or subdued those bright colors and giving the effect I wanted from the beginning.
Thank you for joining me
and remeber to
Better yOurself everY Day